Stealing Art From an Eight Year Old Boy

by David Finley


 Pablo Picasso is credited with saying, "Good artists borrow. Great artists steal."

 Yet, I'd wonder if even he would approve of my recent decision to use an eight year old boy's art as inspiration. Would he call it cheating?

 Children's art possesses a raw power that can be lost as we mature, study, and develop as artists. Our imaginations are much more constrained. Unless, we struggle against them, our inhibitions are held tightly in check. Here, I wanted to go against my training, and break some rules.

 I promise, I redrew everything, making different mark and design choices along the way, but I still feel a tiny bit guilty. Who could do such a thing?

 And, why do I think I might do it again?

-David

Share this with others.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...